- 1959/1973 New to Crosville Motor Services. Based in North Wales and used on summer sea front services at Rhyll and Llandudno. During 1960 it spent a period of time on loan to United Automobile Services and was based at Sunderland depot.
- 1973/1982 Sold to the Bristol Omnibus Company and used at Weston-super-Mare on summer sea front services. Bristol fleet number 8581. Carried name ‘Western Winner’.
- 1981/1990 Owned by the Porthcawl Omnibus Company of Porthcawl, South Wales.
- 1990/1992 Owned by Dunn Line Coaches of Nottingham.
- 1992/2001 Owned by the Northern Bus Company of Dinnington, Sheffield. Fleet number 0978 and used as an active member of the company’s heritage fleet
- Dec. 2001 Acquired by Lakeland Voyager of Appleby, Cumbria for continued use on heritage services and for private hire in association with Cumbria Classic Coaches.
- Dec. 2003 Bought by Cumbria Classic Coaches from Lakeland Voyager.
- This vehicle is believed to be one of two Bristol Lodekkas in the British Isles to retain its detachable roof as built from new. We can remove the roof with 72 hours notice (at an extra cost) for your wedding hire.
This vehicle is an example of the legendary Bristol Lodekka, so called because of it’s low overall height (13’5″) compared to a standard double-decker of the same era (14’6″).
During the 1950s and 1960s the Bristol Lodekka was the standard Tilling Group double deck vehicle with several thousand examples being built and was a common sight throughout the British Isles.
This particular bus is unusual in that it was built new as a convertible open topper, the roof being detachable for summer use.
It was delivered new to Crosville Motor Services of Chester and spent its early working life in the seaside resorts of the North Wales Coast.
- Registration: 627 HFM
- Seats: 60 seated and 14 standing
- Make: Bristol Commercial Vehicles
Type: Lodekka LD 6B Double Deck Bus
- Year: 1959
Body: Eastern Coach Works, Lowestoft.
- Weight: 7310 Kg
- Fleet No: DLB 978
- Engine: Originally Bristol BVW 8.9 Litre Diesel. Later fitted with Gardner 6LXB 10.45 litre
- Gearbox: Constant mesh – 5 speed and reverse “Crash change”
Brakes: Vacuum triple servo assisted
- Springs: Steel Multi-Leaf
- Wheels: Steel rim, tyres 900 x 20 cross ply.
- Electrics: 24 volt Alternator
- Top Speed: 52 mph
- Colours: Originally Crosville cream and black livery worn by the company’s open top fleet, now in Crosville Cream and green as used on seaside and country routes